My journey from Barcelona to Madrid was a bit of a rocky start. The plan was simple: wake up at 7:30am, leave by 8:30am to take the metro just a few stops. From the metro I would take the train, which would deliver me to the airport and from there I would take a shuttle to my Terminal, check-in and voilá! I’d be on my way to Madrid at 11:30am. Easy right? Wrong.
I awoke at 8:34am to the sound of Carly’s roommates chatting in the living room where I was sleeping on the couch. I figured I must still have some time until my alarm went off since I obviously hadn’t heard it yet, but decided to see just how much time I had. You can imagine my surprise when it was already four minutes after the time I was supposed to be out the door. I leapt off the couch and quickly changed into the clothes I had set out the night before. After a few minutes and without any breakfast I was out the door. So no problem…I was just running a few minutes late…
My next big obstacle was getting ALL MY LUGGAGE up and down the several flights of stairs. Mind you, metro stations are not handicapped friendly! (yes I know I’m not handicapped, but I’m implying the severe lack of elevators…at least to my knowledge) With my 50 lb suitcase, my carry on suitcase, and my turtle-like backpack, this was no easy task. If you have ever been to the metro stations here, they are quite handy for quick little trips around the city, not so easy when you have your luggage that’s supposedly going to last for the next 3 months with you! I was so afraid to move anywhere with all my luggage and also afraid of being robbed so I just stood by the door with my hands on all my stuff and prayed.
The next train to the airport left at 9:37 am (mind you boarding for my filght starts at 11:00 am) and I have no idea how long it’s going to take! Luckily it’s only about 20 minutes and from there the shuttle to the other terminal is another 5 or so. Off to check-in…the line for AirEuropa is snaked back and forth and out so far…there’s no way I’m going to make it in time. Luckily, after talking to another passenger waiting in line, she informs me that last-minute flights have a separate line and underneath the sign I see Madrid…thank goodness! I check-in, make my way through security, grab a bite to eat and arrive at my Gate with 5 minutes to spare! This was the start to my solo adventure: an adrenaline-pumping, action-packed, incredibly stressful morning that, in the end, worked out perfectly. Praise God for that!
No comments:
Post a Comment